Wednesday, August 02, 2006

WHY NO SONG FOR INDIANAPOLIS?

This poem was written following a visit to Indy. At a luncheon with high school frinds, I was asked to write a poem about Indy, and this is the result


WHY NO SONG FOR INDIANAPOLIS?

There are songs for nearly every metropolis
But none for my hometown, Indianapolis
New York and Chicago each have a tune
But there’s none about Indy for me to croon
Saint Louis has its’ Saint Louis Blues
And San Francisco has two from which to choose
Memphis and San Jose have their tunes too
And there’s even a song called Sioux City Sue
There’s a tune for nearly every municipality
But none about Indy’s famed Hoosier hospitality
Back Home Again in Indiana’s just about our state
There’s no song for Indy, a city that’s great
Indianapolis is such a fabulous place
The home of the famous 500 Mile Motor Race
There’s Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument in the center or town
With a circular street that you can drive around
There’s a tune about going to Kansas City
But none about Indy and that’s such a pity
Too bad Hoosiers, Porter and Carmichael didn’t write one
I’ll have to do it myself or it won’t get done

By Sue Raymer Woods
July 27, 2005

3 comments:

Saia said...

Hi, just passing through, and thought I'd stop in...

Anonymous said...

Also passing through and got your web site. Sandi Patty sang a beautiful song for Indianapolis and I can't find it anywhere. It is nowhere on her site. Pls help - I love the song.

John McLallen said...

There is a song and it was created by my music teacher at Orchard School, Mrs. Bowden. It goes, IIRC,

There's no place like Indianapolis, Indianapolis I N D
There 's just a little bit of swing in her walk
and just a bit of south in her talk
Just like a queen she wears a circular crown
And every May the speedway races bring her renown
The middle of the USA is I N D I A N A
The happiest people around live in Indianapolis town!