Thursday, August 17, 2006


Memories of Battling Raymer was written about my father, Elvert A. Raymer, pictured with Mom about to embark on a rare vacation.. I often regret the conversations we never had. I miss him and Mom, but often feel they are close.

MEMORIES OF BATTLING RAYMER

You only finished the sixth grade, you obviously were no scholar.
But I loved you and was proud of you, the best in your blue collar
You weren’t small, stood six feet tall, how I adored my dear sweet dad
It mattered not a bit to me that you weren’t a college grad
I’m grateful for all you taught me, how I love you dearest Dad
Though we were poor, we still had more, than lots of others had
A modest man you didn’t brag about your famous boxing glories
But old friends were so proud of you and told us all those stories
You were called “Battling Raymer”, when you stepped into the ring
“I only did it for the money” you would say, “It just wasn’t my thing”
You fought a match in Owensboro, and there you met my mother
Mom just took one look at you, and then couldn’t want any other
You and mom stayed together, although you had your spats
You thought that it was funny when I began to call you “Fats”
When I was young you would cause me so much grieving
But you were only teasing when you said to mom “Pack my bags I’m leaving”
Of all the tales friends told of you, my favorite to recall
Is the one about why your co-workers liked to call you Hadachol
An honest, hard-working man, you taught me to be strong
I got your sense of humor too, and it helps me get along
You’ve been gone too long; mom’s with you now, how I miss my loving folks
I know you’re both in heaven now, and mom’s telling you her jokes

By Sue Raymer Woods
October 19, 2005

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really emotional Sue, I can really feel how you felt about your parents, paticularly you Dad. Thanks so much for sharing SAtch

Anonymous said...

My Favorite Sue from steve raymer