Friday, July 28, 2006

THE INDIANAPOLIS 500 MOTOR RACE

This poem was written while watching the race on ABC. I always get homesick on 500 day, as I spent many hours at Indy. My dad took me to practise and qualifications when I was a child. Then in 1957 I saw my first race. I saw many more afterwards.

THE INDIANAPOLIS 500 MOTOR RACE

The greatest spectacle in racing it’s called
The 500 Mile Race at the Indy Brick Yard
Half a million fans come to Indy to see
Thirty-three drivers go over 220
They’ll drive 200 laps, make 800 left turns
The losers are those who Lady Luck spurns
Who will win? For whom should I bet?
It’s Memorial Day weekend, so they’ll honor each Vet
A respectful silence falls over each stand
When Taps are played by the Purdue Marching Band
Back Home Again in Indiana, Jim Nabors will croon
He’s the only one Hoosiers will trust with their tune
Red, white and blue balloons are released to the sky
And most years you’ll see the Blue Angels fly by
Once they’ve finished with all the Indy traditions.
It’s time for “Lady and gentlemen, start your engines!”
When the pace car pulls away, I just hold my breathe
And wish I was there instead of S.F.
All the fans will be standing, eager to learn
Which driver will be leading into the first turn
“Please God, a safe race”, I say my quick prayer
And oh how I wish that I could be there
I moved to the city in 1969.
And every race day for my Indy I pine
Years ago my favorite was Mario Andretti
And now a top driver is Dario Franchitti
Will this be the first race a woman will win?
Or will her heart break if she goes into a spin?
She was so close near the end, how hard she did duel
It was such a pity that she ran out of fuel
So I watched my beloved race on ABC
And they did a great job most will agree
Maybe some day I’ll be there once again
And root for Patrick to get her first win

By Sue Raymer Woods
May 29, 2005

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This one is my favorite, and I think all of Indy should hear it